Head, Associate Professor
Centre for Health Psychology
School of Medical Sciences
Deputy Dean, Students’ Welfare
University of Hyderabad
1995-2007: Osmania University as Part time /Full-time Academic Consultant
2007 onwards: Assistant Professor, Centre for Health Psychology, University of Hyderabad
Outreach and Extension Programmes
Counseling & Awareness Programmes through media (Print & Electronic)
- Columnist in Eenadu (from 2002 onwards)
- Counseling and awareness programme Etv 2-Sakhi(for more than 8 years)
- Resource person for Helplines and panel discussions in several channels like Vanita TV, Maha TV, TV9, NTV, HM TV, ETV Life, CVR Health and others, several articles in English and Telugu newspapers
Invited Lectures /Soft skills/Resource development programmes
More than 25 Organizations including Academic Staff Colleges (Human Resource Development Centres) of University of Hyderabad, Osmania University, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Moulana Azad National Urdu University; Indian Institute of Health and family Welfare, Centre for Organization Development, Marri Chenna Reddy Institute of Human Resource Development, Geological Survey of India, Andhra Pradesh Police Academy, Administrative Staff College of India, APAARD, DRDO, DMRL, CDTI, NIT Warangal, IIT Hyderabad and several professional training and educational Institutions.
- Member Board of Studies – Department of Psychology, Osmania University
- Member Board of Studies – Clinical Psychology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute (Deemed to be University), Chennai
- Member-Hospital Ethics Committee, Global Hospital, Hyderabad
- Founder member and Treasurer, Association of Health Psychologists
- Member International Psycho-oncology Society (IPOS)
As co-Investigator completed two Research projects titled:
- ‘Effect of Neuro feedback as therapeutic intervention for students with problems in attention and concentration’ (funded by ICSSR)
- ‘Prevalence of depression in patients reporting for cardiac, gastro-intestinal, pulmonary and skin problems: Implications for Health Policy’ (UPE II, UoH)
Awarded: 1; Ongoing: 4
Certificate of Appreciation from Commissioner of College Education, AP (Erstwhile undivided State)
Second best paper award in Conference Second Indian Cancer Congress, November 25, 2017, presented by co-authors for the paper titled Body image concerns as predictor of psychological problems in cancer patients
Publications and Academic Writing
Co-Editor for ‘Trauma & Pain: Biopsychosocial Perspectives’, Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi, 2010. ISBN: 978-81-8220-353-2.
- Hariharan, M., Gadiraju, P., & Rana, S. (2018). Neurofeedback as an effective intervention for academic performance in children with problems in attention and concentration. In Misra, G. (Eds.), Psycho-social Interventions for Health and Wellbeing, Springer
- Vanlalhruaii, C., Gadiraju, P., Kopparty, S., Tiamongla. (2018). Quality of Life of elderly patients as predictor of their caregivers’ Quality of Life. Indian Journal of Gerontology; 32 (3)
- Padmaja, G., Chhakchhuak, V., & Rana, S.(2018). Cancer Specific Interpersonal Relationship Scale (CANSIRS): Construction and Preliminary Validation. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology; 44: 296-306
- Barre, P.V., Padmaja, G., Rana, S., Tiamongla. (2018). Stress and quality of life in cancer patients: Medical and psychological intervention. Indian Journal of Psychological medicine;40:232-8.
- Sushma, B., Padmaja, G., & Agarwal, S. (2016). Well Being, Psychosocial Problems and Social Interaction Anxiety in Children. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 3(4), No. 56, 2016, July. DIP: 18.01.060/20160304. ISSN (electronic): 2348-5396, ISSN (Print): 2349-3428.
- Padmaja, G., Vanalalhuaii, C., Rana, S., Tiamongla, & Kopparty, S. (2016). Quality of life of patients with cancer: A determinant of the quality of life of their family caregivers. Journal of Cancer Education, 32(3), 655-661. doi: 10.1007/s13187-016-1000-y. ISSN: 0885-8195 (print version); 1543-0154 (electronic version).
- Padmaja, G., Tiamongla, Rana, S., Vanlalhruaii, C., & Mohapatra, S. (2015). Do differences in place of living and gender affect self-efficacy and quality of life of university students? Indian Journal of Health & Wellbeing, 6(10), 953-957. ISSN: 2229-5356.
- Vijay Prasad, B., Padmaja, G., Saxena, R, K., & Rana S. (2015). Impact of medical intervention on stress and quality of life of patients with cancer. Indian journal of palliative care, 21(2), 203-208. doi: 10.4103/0973-1075.156503ISSN 0973-1075. (Corresponding author)
- Padmaja, G., Vanalalhuaii, C., Rana, S., Nandinee, D., & Hariharan, M. (2014). Care givers’ depression, anxiety, distress and somatisation as predictors of identical symptoms in cancer patients. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics. 2016 Jan-Mar;12(1):53-7. doi: 10.4103/0973-1482.146088. ISSN: Print -0973-1482, Online – 1998-4138.
- Padmaja, G., Sushma, B., & Agarwal, S. (2014). Psychosocial problems and well being in institutionalized and non institutionalized children. IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), 19(10), 59-64. ISSN: 2279-0837 (electronic version), ISSN: 2279-0845 (print version). doi: 10.9790/0837-191025964.
- Sushma, B., Padmaja, G., & Agarwal, S. (2014). Internalizing Problems, Externalizing Problems and Depression among Children under Institutional Care. Journal of Psycho social Research, 9(1), 45-54. ISSN 0973-5410 (print version), 0976-3937 (online version).
- Hariharan, M., Padmaja, G., & Rana, S. (2014). Biopsychosocial Approach to Health Care: Towards Optimizing the Outcome. R. C. Sobti, J. Mohan, M. Sehgal, S. Sobti, & S. K. Sharma (Eds.), Biopsychological impacts in the era of science and technology (pp 205-219). Delhi, Narendra Publishing House. ISBN: 978-93-82471-82-0.
- Padmaja, G., Sushma, B., & Vanalalhuaii, C. (2014). Enhancing the Life Skills in Patients with Cancer and other Chronic Illness. Humanities and Social Science Studies, 3(1), e-27. doi: 10.4081/hpr.2013.e27. ISSN: 2319-829X.
- Padhy, M., Padmaja, G., & Rana, S. (2014). Role of psychologists in enhancing life- skill-based health education. In M. Bhargava & R. Agarwal (Eds.), Life Skills Education (pp. 128-137). Agra: HP Bhargava House. ISBN: 978-93-83398-10-2
- Prasad, V.B., Padmaja, G., Rana, S., (2013). Stress, coping and quality of life in patients with Non small cell lung cancer. Indian Journal of Behavioral Research and Therapy, 1(1). ISSN: 23197978
- Swathi, P., Padmaja, G., (2013). Relation between subjective well-being and coping methods in employed women and housewives. Psychology of women-Emerging research and strategies, (Seminar proceedings, Dept. of Psychology, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu), pp 1-15. ISBN: 978-81-787404-3-0
- Padmaja, G., & Swathi, P. (2012). Perceptions of University level cricketers towards the role of Sport Psychologists- A proposal for the need of a coach-counselor. Osmania Journal of Physical Education, 6,120-128. ISSN 0974-7109
- Prasad, V. B., & Padmaja, G. (2012). Research in quality of life and coping strategies among cancer patients- A review. In M. V. R. Raju, Marg Chapo, S. Karunanidhi, P. Ramalingam & N D S Naga Seema (Eds.). Quality of life and globalization: Effective self care interventions, vol. (1), pp 245-255. ISBN: 978-81-909923-4-3.
- Prasad, V. B., & Padmaja, G. (2012). Self efficacy in patients with cancer : An Indian scenario. International journal of social science tomorrow, 1(3). ISSN: 2277-6168
- Padmaja, G., Swathi, P., Sushma, B. (2012). Motivation and Personal Effectiveness in Teachers. Indian Journal of Psychology and Mental Health, 6(1). ISSN: 0973-728.
- Prasad, V.B., & Padmaja, G. (2011). Social Support and coping strategies in patients with cancer. Indian Journal of Health and Wellbeing, 2(4), 732-735.
- Sushma, B., & Padmaja, G. (2011). Psychology in India. In Psychology Teaching Review- The Internationalism of Psychology. British Psychological Society Publication, United Kingdom, 17(2). ISSN 0965-948X
- Padhy, M., Padmaja, G., & Chandra, P. M. (2011).Occupational Stress in Forest Executives. Indian Journal of Psychology and Mental Health, 1(5). ISSN: 973-7286.
- Padmaja, G., & Prasad, V. B. (2011). Towards understanding of women’s trauma in disaster: A psychosocial perspective. In M. Hariharan, G. Padmaja, & M. Padhy, (Eds.), Trauma and pain: Biopsychosocial perspectives (pp169-184). Global vision, New Delhi. ISBN: 978-81-8220-353-2.
- Padmaja, G., Padhy, M., & Madhuri, D. (2010). Comparison of Role Stress in Nurses working in General Hospitals and Mental health Institutions. Social Science International – Interdisciplinary Readings, 26(1). ISSN: 0970-1087.
- Padmaja, G. (2008). Globalization: Contextualizing Social Science Research – Book review. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, 34(2), 355-356. ISSN:0019-4247
- Padmaja, G., & Padhy, M. (2008). A Study of Leadership Orientation in Schools and Teachers’ Self Efficacy. In N. R. Sharma, A. K. Kalia, A. Yadava, (Eds.), Psychology of Education, (pp. 19-36). New Delhi, Global vision. ISBN: 978-81-8220-212-2.
- Padhy, M., Padmaja, G., & Hariharan, M. (2008). Religion and Rituals as Aid to Psychological Wellbeing. Journal of Indian Health psychology, 2(2). ISSN: 0973-5755
- Padhy, M., & Padmaja, G. (2008). Training of Cognitive Skills of Disadvantaged Children through Play Methods. Journal of Psychological Researches – An International Journal, 52(1), 34-38. ISSN 0022-3972.
- Padmaja, G., & Beena, C. (2007). An Exploratory Study on Goal Setting for Effective Performance of Urban & Rural Students of X class – An Action Programme. In K. Ravichandra, C. Beena, R. Regani, (Eds.), Psychological wellbeing Correlational and Intervention Studies. New Delhi, Global Vision. ISBN: 81-8220-237-X.
- The role of Counselling in students’ development, Edutracks, September, 2002, Vol.2, No.1
- Schools and Human Resource Development, Edutracks, December, 2002, Vol. 2, No.4
Accepted for Publication
- Kopparty, S., Tiamongla, Vanlalhruaii, C., Hariharan, M., Gadiraju, P., & Rao, C. R. Children’s understanding of Cancer: Developmental trend in their conceptual complexity. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development
- Chapters for B.A. III yr. Abnormal Psychology, paper IV. Telugu Academy, Hyderabad.
- Somatoform Disorders—Nature & Symptoms
- Chapters for Text book of Psychology, (General Psychology), Intermediate board, Andhra Pradesh.
- Methods of Psychology
- Chapters for Text book of Psychology, (General Psychology), Telugu Academy, Hyderabad
- Editor and contributor of chapters for textbook on Social Psychology
- Editor and contributor of chapters for textbook on Health Psychology
Distance Education Course Material
- Chapters for Dr B.R.Ambekar University Distance Education Course material, for M.Sc. Psychology Previous, Course-III, Psychopathology.
- Chapters for Dr B.R.Ambedkar University Distance Education Course material, for B.A. Psychology, III year, Course IV, Psychopathology.
- Chapters for University of Hyderabad Distance Education course material for Post Graduate Diploma in Criminal Justice and Forensic Science, CJ&FS413: Society, Culture and Crime, CJ1.2: Human Psychology and Criminal Behaviour
- Chapters for Distance Education material for Osmania University B.A. I, II and III years (English and Telugu Media of instruction)
- Chapters for Distance Education material for Osmania University M.A. I & II years
- Chapters for Dr B.R.Ambedkar University Distance Education Course material, for B.Ed Special Education, “Approaches to Human Development”
UGC CEC lessons http://cec.nic.in/E-Content/Pages/default.aspx
- e-learning content development and presentation for EMMRC – EFLU(Audio-Visual lessons)
Subject: Psychology (B.A)
- Paper – 06: Abnormal Psychology
- Paper – 08: Educational psychology
- e-learning content development and presentation for EMMRC – EFLU(Audio-Visual lessons) MOOCS
- Health Psychology
- e-learning content development and presentation for EMMRC – OU(Audio-Visual lessons August 2016)
- Reading material for Bachelors in Social work; Course title: Understanding Human Development
- Unit 1, 2 &3
- e-learning content development and presentation for Common Wealth Education and Media for Central Asia (CEMCA) two modules for MOOC kit course on Life Skills for Engineers on the topic Leadership in Level 1 & 2 successfully completed.
- Principal Investigator for repurposing of the subject Abnormal Psychology, for MOOCs undergraduate course with four credits for e-learning material for EMMRC – EFLU(Audio-Visual lessons)
- Editor for the textbook on Social Psychology, published by Telugu Academy (State Government) for BA III year Psychology
- Editor for the textbook on Health Psychology, published by Telugu Academy (State Government) for BA III year Psychology