Centre for Health Psychology
School of Medical Sciences
University of Hyderabad
Prof. C. R. Rao Road, Gachibowli
Hyderabad – 500 046, India
Assistant Professor in Health Psychology at Centre for Health Psychology, University of Hyderabad
2016-‘17: HOD, Department of Psychology, St. Francis College for Women
2014-‘16: P.G. Coordinator, Department of Psychology, St. Francis College for Women
2015-’17: Project Manager for an Online Course in” Safeguarding Children and Adults from Abuse” offered by Centre for Child Protection, Pontificia Universita Gregoriana, Rome.
2015-’17: Guest Faculty at University of Hyderabad
2008-‘13: Counselling Cell Convener at St. Francis College for Women
2008-’11 Corporate Counsellor in Thomson and Reuters, Hyderabad
1991-’07 Teacher, Academic Assistant, School Psychologist and Special Education Teacher at Chirec Public School, Hyderabad
1989: Guest Faculty at School of Nursing, Hyderabad.
Area of Research
Behavioural Cardiology, Child & Adolescent Health, Community Health Psychology
- Co-investigator ICSSR (IMPRESS) sponsored project “Indigenous interventions for school children:Impact on academic performance and health” (On-going)
- UGC Minor Project “Role of Pre- operative Psycho-education and Coping on Hospital Anxiety and Pain Experience in Patients undergoing Elective Surgery” (Completed)
- Supervised one MPhil research titled Emotional Intelligence, Quality of Work Life on Decision Making in Managers Singhania University, Rajasthan
- Supervised 25 Graduate and 15 Undergraduate research projects
- Hariharan,M., Andrew, A., Kallevarapu, V., Rao, C.R., Chivukula, U. (2018). Conceptualizing hypertension: A developmental trend in school children, International Journal of Health & Allied Sciences, 7(3), 177-183
- Chivukula, U., Nandinee, D. (2018). Coping, hospital anxiety and depression and pain experience in elective surgery patients: role of psycho-educational interventions. Paripex-Indian Journal of Research.7 (5), 45-47.
- Chivukula U, Kota S, Nandinee D. (2018). Burden experience of caregivers of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Impact of coping and spirituality. Indian Journal of Palliative Care, 24, 189-95.
- Chivukula, U., Hariharan, M., Rana, S., Thomas, M., Andrew, A. (2017). Enhancing Hospital Well‑being and Minimizing Intensive Care Unit Trauma: Cushioning Effects of Psychosocial Care, Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, 21(10), 24-29.
- Chivukula, U., Nandinee, D. (2017). Coping and Psychological Distress in Patient undergoing Elective surgery: Role of Pre-Operative Psychoeducation. International Journal of Indian Psychology. 4(4), 10-18. DOI:10.25215/0404.153
- Chivukula, U., Agarwal, A. (2016). Family Environment and Mental Well-being among Adolescents. The International Journal of Humanities & Social Studies. 4(2) 318-322
- Hariharan, M., Chivukula, U., & Rana, S. (2015). The intensive care unit psychosocial care scale: Development and initial validation. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 31(6), 343-351.
- Chivukula, U., Fernandes, T., Agarwal, A. (2015). Positive Psychology Interventions: Modifiers of Interpersonal Needs, Gerotranscendence and Well-Being in Geriatrics. Global Journal of Research Analysis.4(5), 419-22, SSN No 2277 – 816.
- Fernandes, T., Sanyal, N., Amarnath, A., Usha, C.V. & Sunkarapalli, G. (2015) Social Interaction Anxiety between HIV Positive and HIV Negative Adults: A Comparative Study. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 2(1), 49-65
- Swain, S., Hariharan, M., Rana, S., Chivukula, U., & Thomas, M. (2014). Doctor-Patient Communication: Impact on Adherence and Prognosis Among Patients with Primary Hypertension. Psychological Studies, 60(1), 25-32. DOI:10.1007/s12646-014-0291-5
- Chivukula, U., Hariharan, M., Rana, S., Thomas, M., & Swain, S. (2014). Role of psychosocial care on ICU trauma. Indian journal of psychological medicine, 36(3), 312-316. DOI:10.4103/0253-7176.135388
- Hariharan,M., Swain, S., Chivukula,U. (2013). Childhood Stress and its Impact on Learning and Academic Performance in The Companion to Educational Psychology, Edited by Andrew.J.Holliman. Routlegde International, Taylor & Francis Group. 127- 139. ISBN: 978-0-415-67558-1
- Chivukula, U., Swain, S., Rana, S., & Hariharan, M. (2013). Perceived social support and type of cardiac procedures as modifiers of hospital anxiety and depression. Psychological Studies, 58(3), 242-247. DOI: 10.1007/s12646-013-0199-5
- Fernandes, T., Chivukula, U., Lima A., Afshaan Z. (2013). A Comparative Study of Mental Wellbeing and Optimism levels of Labourers belonging to different Work Environment. Periyar Journal of Psychology. Vol 1
- Hariharan,M., Chivukula,U.(2011). Patient Care in intensive Care Units: Biopsychosocial Assessment” Journal of Indian Health Psychology,5(2), 25-35, Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi.
- Swain, S., Chivukula,U. (2011). Emergency Psychology: Concept and Status. in Trauma and Pain: Biopsychosocial Perspectives. Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi. 241-251.
- 5- Day Workshop on Hypnotherapy, Cognitive Drill Therapy & Cognitive Behaviour Therapy 5th February to 9th February, 2018
- Organizing Secretary for the 5-Day National Workshop on “Thinking Qualitative: Approaches and Methods in Qualitative Research in Social Sciences” at St. Francis College, Begumpet, Hyderabad from 19th September to 23nd September, 2016.
- Joint- Secretary for the UGC Sponsored 5- Day National Workshop on “Counseling Initiatives: Recent Trends in Varied Settings” at St. Francis College for Women, Begumpet, Hyderabad from 27th September to 1st October, 2014.
- Coordinator for the ICSSR sponsored National Workshop on “Research Methodology & Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences” organized by St. Francis College for Women, Begumpet, Hyderabad from 3rd October to 7th October, 2013.
Papers Presented in Conferences
- Lead presentation on “Problem Areas and Medication Adherence as predictors of Quality of Life in Diabetic Patients”, at International Seminar on “Contemporary Trends in Health Psychology: Role of Psychologists” at Sri Venkateshwara University, Tirupati., 25th & 26th September , 2017
- Chaired a session on Holistic Approaches to Wellbeing in Children, at the National Seminar on ‘Wellbeing across Lifespan’ organized by Centre for Health Psychology, University of Hyderabad, from 25th to 27th October, 2017
- Presented a paper titled “Cardiovascular Diseases: Implications of Adherence to Lifestyle Management, at Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) Education & Faculty Development. St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad. 6th -11th November, 2017
- Resource Person for the Seminar on Sampling Techniques Research Methodology…..in College of Nursing
- Resource person for the topic “Balancing Relationships”, at National Conference on Effective Living. Vigilance week, National Thermal Corporation, Hyderabad, on 4th March 2016.
- Patient Care in Intensive Care Units: Biopsychosocial Assessment in National Workshop on Trauma and Pain, at Center for Health Psychology, University of Hyderabad.
- Enhancing Quality of Life in Intensive Care Units-A Holistic Approach in the 45th National and 14th International conference of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology organized by the Department of Psychology Andhra University Vishakhapatnam, from 18th to 20th February, 2012.
- Invited as a resource person for a lecture on “Obesity: Psychosocial Implications” at Asian Institute of Gastroenterology”, Hyderabad on 3rd Feb 2018
- Coordinated a 5-Day workshop organized by Centre for Health Psychology, on Hypnotherapy & Cognitive Drill Therapy, from 5th Feb to 9th Feb 2018 at Ambedkar Auditorium, University of Hyderabad.
- Invited as a resource person for a workshop on Transactional Analysis: Building Interpersonal Relationships, as a part of the Capacity Building Program for College lectures at Dhote Bandhu Science College, Gondia, from 10/1/2018 to 12/1/2018
- Invited as a resource person for a workshop on Group Dynamics, as a part of the Capacity Building Program for College lectures at Dhote Bandhu Science College, Gondia, from 10/1/2018 to 12/1/2018
- Invited as a resource person for a workshop on “Vulnerability and Capacity to Cope” for staff of Prasar Bharati, at Prasar Bharati, Hyderabad. 4th October 2017
- Radio Lesson Program titled “Negotiation”, at B.R. Ambedkar University, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad, on 27th December 2017
- Conducted a video lesson on “ Anxiety Disorders” for BRAOU, on 6th December 2018
- Live Interaction on Doordarshan, Yadagiri on the topic titled “Autism Awareness” (Autism Avagahana). 22nd June 2018